Show Up Against the Prison Industrial Complex
on May 8 in Sacramento!
“My job is to get 50 of you all to come with me to Sacramento on May 8th. We’re gonna have five busloads of formerly incarcerated people and their family members showing up in Sacramento, demanding that we have rights...will you stand with me?"
— Dorsey Nunn, Executive Director, Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC)
SURJ Bay Area is answering Dorsey Nunn’s call!
Join us in supporting Legal Services for Prisoners with Children / All of Us or None’s 5th annual statewide lobby day in Sacramento for formerly-incarcerated people and family members with incarcerated loved ones. SURJ will be there, along with allied community leaders and activists. Quest for Democracy Advocacy Day supports pending legislation that affects people impacted by incarceration and lifts up the voices and leadership of those most impacted by the prison industrial complex.
Several hundred folks from across the state are coming to lobby for bills that will impact the rights of formerly incarcerated people, such as:
• SB 180 – the RISE Act (Repeal Ineffective Sentencing Enhancement) - to reduce incarceration and free up funds to invest in community programs
• SB 185 – Drivers License Suspensions - prohibits license suspensions for failure to pay or appear in court for minor traffic tickets.
• AB 353 – Trial Jurors - restores the right to serve on juries upon completion of sentence.
• AB 1008 – The Fair Chance Act - extends Ban the Box to private employers, limited background checks to after an in-person interview / conditional job offer.
Also on May 8, several thousand police and their supporters will be descending on Sacramento for ceremonies to honor police who have died in line of duty. The same day. The same place.
Join SURJ Bay Area in supporting Quest for Democracy Advocacy Day!
• Come to Sacramento on Monday, May 8th! We’re mobilizing as many folks as possible to show solidarity with formerly-incarcerated people and family members. Let’s roll together! RSVP BELOW Carpools are being organized (If you can drive or need a ride, SIGN UP HERE)!
Here's the day's schedule (subject to change):
- 9:30 -10:30 am - Opening Rally
- 10:30 - 12:00 pm - Public Hearing - Impacted folks will share their stories, discuss their rights and demands. Legislators will be invited to listen and participate.
- 12:00 - 1:00 pm - Lunch
- 1:00 - 3:00 pm - Impacted folks visit legislative offices
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm - Closing Rally
[NOTE: If you are a formally-incarcerated person or a family member, and want to participate in the Sunday, May 7 training day as well as the May 8 Lobby Day, find more info here]
• Whether you can go to Sacramento or not, please make a donation! SURJ Bay Area is fundraising to help cover costs for the mobilization. All monies raised will go directly to Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC) / All of Us or None. DONATE HERE
1315 10th St
Area 27 borders N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Google map and directions