- Over 60% of Oakland residents are renters, and as many as 1,000-1,500 tenants are being displaced every month.
- Oakland rents are now the 4th highest in the country, with 1-bedroom apartments costing over $2,500 per month - nearly half the average household income in Oakland.
- Low income and working class households, senior citizens, people of color, and people with disabilities are disproportionately affected by these issues. People who have lived and worked in Oakland for years can’t afford to stay here. Between 1990 and 2011, the proportion of African Americans in Oakland decreased by 40%.
What does Measure JJ do to help stop gentrification and displacement?
Measure JJ is on the November 2016 ballot. It will protect Oakland renters from illegal rent increases and unjustified evictions. JJ will:
- Require landlords to petition with the Rent Board for rent increases that exceed the Consumer Price Index (inflation) rather than placing the onus on tenants to contest these increases
- Expand Just Cause eviction protections to buildings constructed through 1995
- Increase accountability and effectiveness of the Rent Board and Rent Adjustment Program
- CANVASSING: Saturday, October 15, 9:30 a.m. - 2pm, Meet at ACCE office, 2530 International Blvd, Oakland
- CANVASSING: Saturday, October 22 & 29, 10am-2:30pm, Meet at Oakland Rising office: 570 14th St., Oakland. (NOTE: must be able to stay for whole shift; partial shifts are not allowed.)
- CANVASSING: Saturday, Sunday, November 5 & 6, 10am-2:30pm, Meet at Oakland Rising office: 570 14th St., Oakland. (NOTE: must be able to stay for whole shift; partial shifts are not allowed.)
- CANVASSING: Election Day, Tuesday November 8, 3-9 PM: Meet at Oakland Rising office: 570 14th St., Oakland.
Other Ways to Get Involved! There's a way for everyone to pitch in, whether by putting up a sign, speaking up online, knocking on doors, making phone calls, or throwing a party.
- We expect the real estate industry to spend millions trying to defeat Measure JJ. Donate to the campaign to pass Measure JJ at https://protectoaklandrenters.nationbuilder.com/donate
- Promote on social media: Follow Protect Oakland Renters on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Protect-Oakland-Renters & share their updates with your network using hashtag #protectoaklandrenters
- For more info, visit http://www.oaklandtenantsunion.org/protect-oakland-renters-yes-on-jj.html or http://www.protectoaklandrenters.org/
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.