On August 21st, welcome your state legislators back from their summer recess by participating in a coordinated day of calling in support of SB 180, the Repeal Ineffective Sentencing Enhancement Act (RISE) Act!
(1) Click here to find out which district you live in and see the target list below.
(2) Use this great sample call script, from our friends at the Ella Baker Center:
My name is _____, and I live in ____, California. I am calling to say that I support Senate Bill 180, related to drug sentences. California wastes too much money by locking people up for very long periods of time, when it should be investing in services we need in our communities, like schools, dropout prevention programs, job training, housing, and employment. My family and I want to stop wasting lives and money on jails and prisons. We want services in our communities that really make us safer. Please let my Assemblymember know that I strongly support this bill.
(3) Let us know that you called by posting the following on Twitter / Facebook / Instagram:
Welcome back to Sacramento, ________ [Insert your Assemblymember's twitter handle here]! I urge you to vote AYE on #SB180 #RISEAct! #SURJisinsession
(4) Forward this to five friends asking them to do the same!
Who should I call?
You should call YOUR Assemblymember, ideally at their office in Sacramento. If you live in the below districts, your calls are especially important! If your Assemblymember isn't on the list, still call and ask the person you speak to how your representative is planning to vote. If they support the bill, thank them for their support! If they aren't planning to support, or the person you speak to is unsure of how your representative may vote, use the script above to record your support.
The key targets in the Bay area are as follows:
East Bay / Contra Costa:
- Assemblymember Grayson (Pittsburg, Bay Point, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Clayton, Benicia, Vallejo)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2014
- Assemblymember Frazier (Brentwood, Oakley, Antioch, Fairfield, Vacaville)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2011
- Assemblymember Chu (Fremont, Newark, Milpitas, San José, Santa Clara)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2025
- Assemblymember Thurmond (Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Piedmont, El Cerrito, Pinole, Richmond, San Pablo, El Sobrante, Kensington)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2015
- Assemblymember Levine (Corte Madera, Cotati, Fairfax, Kentfield, Larkspur, Mill Valley, Novato, San Anselmo, San Rafael, Sausalito, Sebastopol, Tiburon, Penngrove, Petaluma, Sonoma, West Marin, and parts of the City of Santa Rosa)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2010
- Assemblymember Wood (Del Norte, Trinity, Humboldt, and Mendocino counties, northern and coastal Sonoma County, and northern Santa Rosa)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2002
- Assemblymember Aguiar-Curry (all or parts of Napa, Lake, Yolo, Sonoma, Colusa and Solano counties)
- Sacramento: 916-319-2004